Brief description of the hazards associated with working with or around cranes and measures to take to work safely.
May 27, 2010
- Cranes are to be operated only by qualified and trained personnel.
- A designated competent person must inspect the crane and all crane controls before use.
- Be sure the crane is on a firm/stable surface and level.
- During assembly/disassembly do not unlock or remove pins unless sections are blocked and secure (stable).
- Fully extend outriggers and barricade accessible areas inside the crane’s swing radius.
- Watch for overhead electric power lines and maintain at least a 10-foot safe working clearance from the lines.
- Inspect all rigging prior to use; do not wrap hoist lines around the load.
- Be sure to use the correct load chart for the crane’s current configuration and setup, the load weight and lift path.
- Do not exceed the load chart capacity while making lifts.
- Raise load a few inches, hold, verify capacity/balance, and test brake system before delivering load.
- Do not move loads over workers.
- Be sure to follow signals and manufacturer instructions while operating cranes.