A toolbox talk on preventing falls from ladders. Includes questions to ask, an incident to discuss with images, and a place to record questions the trainer would like to ask about the incident. Part of a collection. Click on the 'collection' button to access the other items.
How do we prevent falls from ladders?
Ask the following questions and give time for answers.
- What are the hazards? Falls from heights due to extension or stepladder use
- What are the results? Broken bones, internal damage, death
- What should we look for? Improper type, damaged ladder, improper ladder placement, ladder not tied off, ladder not extending 36” above deck, improper climbing procedures, standing on top step of a stepladder or fourth or first rung of an extension ladder
Relate this incident or, better, one you know.
Actual Incident: An employee was climbing a 10-foot ladder to access a landing which was 9 feet above the adjacent floor. The ladder slid down, and the employee fell to the floor, sustaining fatal injuries. Although the ladder had slip-resistant feet, it was not secured, and the railings did not extend 36” above the landing.
|Use this quick ladder check to assure 1:4 base to height ratio.|
Ask the following question and ensure every item is covered.
How do we prevent these results?
- Use correct ladder type for job.
- Properly set ladder at 1:4 base to height. With feet on bottom, extended arms should touch the rung (See photo).
- Set base.
- Tie off ladder.
- Extend ladder 36” above deck or provide grabrails.
- Do not stand on top step of a step ladder or fourth rung of an extension ladder.
- Use proper climbing procedures (3-point contact)
Ask the following questions about ladders on this site and ensure every item is covered. Try to use an actual ladder and allow workers to demonstrate proper ladder set up and use.
Let’s talk about this site now.
- Are there any damaged ladders at this site?
- How do you set up an extension ladder? Please demonstrate.
- What factors increase the risk of falls from ladders? Improper or damaged ladder type, improper ladder placement, ladder not tied off, ladder not extending 36” above deck, climbing procedures, standing on ladder, etc.
Record questions below that you want to ask about this site.